A guide to using Google Maps for planning a route
How To Easily Plan Your Adventure Trip Using Google My Maps
Google My Maps can save you a great deal of time, prevent you from getting lost and help with preparation for your adventures. Follow the next steps to have more of an understand on how to use My Maps.
1. CREATING A NEW CUSTOM MAP
- From your desktop browser, go to Google My Maps.
- Click “Create A New Map, ” and a blank map will open in a new window.
- Give your map a name and description, click the map name (“Untitled Map”)
2. WORKING WITH LAYERS
- When you create a new map, you also create the first layer, so you’ll probably want to rename it.
- To give your first layer a title, click directly on the title name as you did with the map name, OR click the three dots next to “Untitled Layer” and then click “Rename Layer.”
- Clicking these three dots next to a layer title is also how you can delete a layer if you add one accidentally or change your mind. You can use layers any way you want to, or just stick to one layer if you don’t need multiple ones.
- To add more layers, just click “Add Layer” in the grey section below the map title and description.
- To move a pin between layers, click the pin and hold down the mouse, and then drag it to the desired layer.
3. ADDING LOCATION PINS
- First, make sure you choose the correct layer by clicking anywhere in the white area on the screen.
- You’ll see the layer selected by looking for the blue bar on the left of the screen.
- In the map search bar, type either a place name or address. Click “Add to Map” to add a pin for this location.
- If you don’t know the exact location you can also click the pin marker button below the map search bar (“Add Marker”). It will turn your mouse into a T, and you can click anywhere on the map to add a new pin and add the pin title and description.
- If you want to change the title and add notes to your listing, click on the pin on the map, and then click the pencil icon (“Edit”), you can even add photos by clicking on the camera icon instead.
- To delete a pin, just click on it and click the trash icon.
4. ADDING DIRECTIONS
- To show an entire route on a map, click the arrow icon underneath the search bar, which will create a new directions layer.
- Add a location name or address to Points A and B in the legend.
- If you find that the pins are not exactly where they should be, you can drag the points on the map.
- Continue adding points by clicking “Add Destination” on the map. You can either type the information into the legend OR hover your mouse to a spot on the map and double-click it.
- Rearrange the order by dragging the items around in the legend. Just like altering directions on Google Maps navigation, you can click on the part of the route and pull it to a different road if you want to change part of the journey after is it complete.
- If you need to access the directions, click the three dots on the layer and click “Step-by-Step Directions.” Now you can also access your customised maps from your mobile phone anywhere you want
We hope this makes the planning of your adventure more comfortable.